Probate is the legal process by which a deceased person’s estate is “administered” in accordance with his Last Will and Testament. The deceased person may have designated someone in his Will to execute his estate. If he didn’t, or if the selected person is unavailable or unwilling to act, the court will appoint a Personal Representative (PR) to act on behalf of the estate.
During the probate process, the PR notifies all of the decedent’s potential creditors of his death and advises them to come forward with their claims against him. The decedent’s obligations are thus resolved, and the PR moves on to distribute the decedent’s leftover property to the beneficiaries noted in his Will. In general, the probate process takes six to nine months to complete.
Because South Florida is home to many retirees, and so many non-residents own property here, i.e. condominiums on the beach, etc., probate law is particularly important in the tri-county area (Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties). Here, especially, it is essential that we keep abreast with developments in Florida probate laws.
If you would like more information about this topic, you may contact me, a Florida Probate Attorney, by email, or call me at (954) 458-8655 and I will be happy to answer your questions. I offer a free initial consultation.
Probate Links of Interest:
You may also be interested in:
Fraud or Undue Influence Challenges to a Florida Will
- This RSS feed URL is deprecated
- 2018 Florida Super Lawyers Recognizes Seven Farr Law Firm Attorneys - PR.com (press release)
- Four attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named Florida Super Lawyers - PR Newswire (press release)
- South Florida Jury Convicts Lawyer of Making False Statements in Real Estate Paperwork - Law.com
- Legals for 06/20/18 - TheCountyRecord.Net
- 2018 Annual Florida Bar Convention: Elder Law Update - Legal Talk Network
- Legal Notices for June 15, 2018 - Perry Newspapers
- United States: What's The Difference Between Escheated And Unclaimed Funds? - Mondaq News Alerts
- Legals for 06/13/18 - TheCountyRecord.Net
- Senior-level hires and promotions for the week of June 11, 2018 - Miami Herald
- Legals for 06/06/18 - TheCountyRecord.Net