Home – Slip and Fall – Types of Injuries
4 Factors that Determine The Type of Injuries Sustained in a Slip and Fall
When involved in a slip and fall accident, there are various types of injuries that may be sustained, at varying degrees of severity. A person may suffer from broken or fractured bones, including lower leg injuries and facial fractures, back or spinal cord injuries, permanent disability, brain injuries, paralysis, internal bleeding and more. The type of injury and at what degree of severity depends on a number of physical and biological factors that are present during the slip and fall accident such as:
- Height of the Fall – with falls from more than 45 feet the type of injuries expected would be trauma to the internal organs. With falls from 30 feet or less and even with some same level falls which are less than 10 feet such as slip, trip, stumble or tumble, the type of injuries expected would be musculoskeletal.
- Position at Landing – whether or not protective reflexes were involved such as outstretched arms to break the fall, or whether or not the body directly hit the ground, plays an important role in determining what is injured and to what extent. The absence of protective reflexes during a fall could indicate some sort of neurological impairment.
- Impact on Surface – the acceleration during the fall and how the body impacted the surface, plays an important role in the severity of the injury.
- Physical Condition – the person’s age, size, gender and health also influences the type of injury incurred.
Within each of these factors are other items that impact the severity of the injury from a slip, trip and fall. When evaluating a case, an experienced personal injury attorney will consider all of these issues to determine the negligence of a business or property owner, and determining negligence, if any, of the individual injured.
See A Sample of Alan’s Slip and Fall Settlements & Cases Won
- Publix Settlements and Cases Won
- Walmart Settlements and Cases Won
- Winn Dixie Cases Settled and Won
- General Case Law – Slip and Falls
Quick Slip And Fall Facts:
Slip and falls are the second leading cause of injuries and deaths after car accidents. Every hour an older adult dies as a result of a fall. The most common injuries resulting from slip and falls include, herniated disc, head injury and/or a knee injury. Learn more from Alan Sackrin, an expert slip and fall lawyer.
Related Slip and Fall Topics
Please feel free to read our other slip and fall (trip and fall) related articles and fact sheets, including:
- 6 Environmental factors that can cause slip and fall accidents
- Slip and Fall Case Checklist
- Sample Slip and Fall Lawsuit
Do You Have a Question?
Please fill out the “Talk With An Attorney” form above to ask a question or you can call Alan Sackrin at 954-458-8655. He promises to get back to you promptly. Ask now.
Learn More: See Our Slip and Fall Resource Page