Florida Appellate Attorney
Why Alan Sackrin?
Alan Sackrin is a Florida Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer who also represents clients in taking their case before Florida appeals courts for review of trial decisions and judgments. Alan Sackrin takes his extensive trial experience into the area of appellate litigation, with over 70 appeals, bringing the advantage of a trial attorney’s perspective to an appeal of a trial court judge’s decision on trial proceedings in cases involving personal injury, wrongful death, commercial and foreclosure litigation, as well as divorce and family law matters.
Not all appellate attorneys have much, if any, courtroom trial experience even though they are arguing for and against allegations of trial mistakes before the appeals court. With Alan Sackrin arguing before a Florida appellate bench, his clients have the advantage of an appellate litigator who implicitly understands the nuances of trial courtroom procedures and processes.
An appeal is a proceeding to review a judgment or order of a lower court based upon the record made before the lower court. An appeal is not a new lawsuit; it is a continuation of the original legal action. An action remains pending in the trial court until after a final judgment is issued and an appeal is taken or the time for an appeal expires. If an appeal is taken, the action is still pending until its final disposition.
An appeal directly attacks and seeks review of all or part of a specific judgment, order, decision, or decree of the trial court to obtain a correction of any harmful error the lower court may have committed, including the improper entry of a summary judgment. As similarly stated, an appeal is for the purpose of securing a consideration of errors alleged to have been committed by the trial judge. An appeal is intended to help in administering justice by due process of law as required by the constitution as well as to aid in establishing the laws of the state.
Florida Appellate Districts and Florida Supreme Court
In Florida, trial judges make rulings on law and fact (evidence). These judicial rulings are then subject to review by a higher court. In Broward County and Miami-Dade County, Florida trial court decisions are appealed either to the Fourth District Court of Appeals for the State of Florida, located in West Palm Beach or to the Third District Court of Appeals for the State of Florida located in Miami. The Florida Supreme Court then undertakes review of the decisions made by the five district appellate courts.
Alan Sackrin has handled appeals before the Florida appellate courts related to a variety of matters, such as controversies based in:
- Slip And Falls
- Car Accidents
- Family Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Breach of Contract
- Product Liability
- Summary Judgments
- Jury Instructions
- Civil Procedure
- Insufficient Service of Process
Sample of Appellate Decisions Argued By Alan Sackrin
- Craig v. School Board of Broward County, 679 So. 2d 1219, 1222 (Fla. 4th DCA 1996) – Established law that motorists have duty to decrease speed when children are known or should be known to be on a bicycle on or near the street or sidewalk. Jury verdict for The School Board reversed and case settled for maximum amount allowed against The School Board allowed by Florida law.
- Rivera v. Baby Trend, Inc., 914 So.2d 1102 (Fla. 4th DCA 2005) – California distributor of product manufactured in China is strictly liable for defects in product (baby stroller) even though the product was never in the possession of the distributor, but was shipped directly to retailer.
- Levenberg v. Boyar & Freeman, P.A. – District Court of Appeal of Florida, Fourth District. April 06, 2011 72 So.3d 768
- Esgro v. Trezza – District Court of Appeal of Florida, Fourth District. July 16, 1986 492 So.2d 422 11 Fla. L. Weekly 1562 – Decedent’s wife brought negligence action against doctor who had prescribed medication for patient and sent him home two or three days prior to his death, and doctor moved to exhume body for autopsy. The Circuit Court, Broward County, Bobby W. Gunther, J., granted the motion to exhume.
- Hall v. City of Hialeah – District Court of Appeal of Florida, Third District. November 21, 1989 551 So.2d 1281 1989 WL 139514 – Appellee has conceded error in the trial court’s failure to grant a motion for new trial as to past and future non-economic damages.
- Kozarin v. Kozarin – District Court of Appeal of Florida, Third District. April 04, 2012 85 So.3d 494.
- Dobek v. Ans – District Court of Appeal of Florida, Fourth District. April 25, 1990 560 So.2d 328 1990 WL 49856 – The Circuit Court, Broward County, George A. Shahood, J., entered judgment for defendant in civil case and plaintiff appealed.
- B.R. Fries & Associates, Inc. v. Meagher – District Court of Appeal of Florida, Third District. April 24, 1984 448 So.2d 1211 – The Circuit Court, Dade County, Donald E. Stone, J., entered nonfinal order denying motion to set aside default, and defendant appealed. The District Court of Appeal, Lester, M. Ignatius, Associate Judge, held that there had been no gross abuse of discretion on the part of the trial court.
- Osorio v. Metropolitan Dade County District Court of Appeal of Florida, Third District. October 09, 1984 459 So.2d 332 – Action for personal injuries was brought against city alleging negligence in maintaining stop ahead sign at intersection. The Circuit Court, Dade County, Rhea Pincus Grossman, J., entered summary judgment for city, and plaintiff appealed.
Alan Sackrin handles civil appeals of trials occurring in Hallandale, Hollywood, Aventura, Fort Lauderdale, Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Weston, Davie, North Miami Beach, Dania Beach and all other cities in Dade County and Broward County having appeared before Florida courts on behalf of his clients since 1982.
Experienced Board Certified Florida Trial and Appeals Lawyer
Alan Sackrin’s 30+ years of experience as a trial and appellate lawyer makes him especially qualified to handle even the most complicated cases. A simple phone call puts you in contact with a committed, local Florida attorney who will handle all aspects of your matter and work hard to help you get what you deserve. Alan will fight for your rights throughout the State of Florida.
If you or your business requires an experienced appellate attorney, contact Alan Sackrin today for a free consultation.
Get A Free Case Evaluation By An Experienced Appeals Lawyer – Call (954) 458-8655
Contact Alan Sackrin to find out how he can help you. You can contact him by phone at 954-458-8655 or by e-mail through this web site to schedule an appointment and learn more about your rights from a South Florida civil appeals lawyer. He offers a free initial consultation.
Do You Have a Question?
Fill out the “Talk With An Attorney” form above to ask a question or call us at 954-458-8655. We promise to get back to you promptly. Ask now.